The Illinois Association of REALTORS® honored the Illinois REALTOR® of the Year Loretta Alonzo and this year’s 26 local REALTORS® of the Year at a ceremony Tuesday night at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum in Springfield. See photo highlights of the evening.
See what your REALTOR® colleagues and friends were doing early Tuesday in this photo gallery from several sessions at the IAR June Business Meetings at the Hilton Springfield.
Among the meetings covered in this gallery are:
- the Account Executives Meeting,
- the Commercial/Industrial/Investment Committee,
- the Global Working Group and
- the Public Policy MIG.
The challenge for the state is to make sure that the world knows more about Illinois, said Erik Brejla, head of strategic partnerships, Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity.
Brejla spoke to the IAR Global Task Force at the June Business Meetings in Springfield on June 16, 2015.
The department recently studied the state’s approach to trade and investment promotion. The results were startling, he said.
“It was very ad hoc,” he said of the strategy. “It really seemed like a huge loss of opportunity.”
The state surveyed foreign representatives in the state, and found many misconceptions. Respondents said challenges included high taxes, a weak university system and a lack of talent.
For DCEO, the challenge is to tell the story that highlights the state’s strengths that make it attractive and competitive.
“The good news is that there is a lot to sell,” he said.
Among Illinois’ attributes:
- A highly skilled workforce
- Investor-friendly environment
- Strategic location and infrastructure.
- Diverse and growing economy.
- Successful multinational corporations already operate there.
Illinois REALTORS® recently inducted into the REALTORS® Political Action Committee (RPAC) Hall of Fame were honored at a special reception at IAR Headquarters Monday evening.
IAR leaders recognized the achievements of Hugh Rider, Michael D. Oldenettel, Doug Hartmann Sr., Joe Hanauer, the late Jim Barbagallo and Loretta Alonzo. Each of these individuals has donated a total of $25,000 to RPAC.
Rider, of Realty & Mortgage Co. in Chicago, is the President of the Chicago Association of REALTORS®. He’s been involved with several IAR committees since 2013, including: Federal Political Coordinator Contact Teams, NAR Directors, RPAC Trustees and State Legislative Contacts Working Group.
Oldenettel, the 2013 IAR President, represents RE/MAX Professionals in Springfield. He’s been involved with 27 different IAR committees since 1995, including 11 terms as Chair and eight at Vice Chair.
Hanauer, of Combined Investments, L.P., in Laguna Beach, Ca., has served on several IAR committees since 1998, including: NAR Directors, NAR Political Advisory Working Group and RPAC Golden R’s.
Hartmann, of Century 21 Hartmann REALTORS® in Collinsville, and has served on several IAR committees since 1998, including: Federal District Coordinating Working Group, Federal Political Coordinators Working Group, Federal Political Coordinator Contact Teams and Major Investor Working Group, REALTORS® Political Involvement Committee.
Barbagallo, who died in July of 2014, twice served as President of the Rockford Area Association of REALTORS®. He was a member of the Major Investor Working Group, the Political Fundraising Working Group and the Public Policy & Government Affairs Member Involvement Group. He was a Vice Chair of the RPAC Trustees.
Alonzo, the 2015 IAR REALTOR® of the Year, was the 2012 IAR President and won the 2006 IAR Distinguished Service Award. She represents CENTURY 21 Affiliated in Chicago. A current member of IAR’s Board of Directors and the Major Investor Working Group, she has served IAR on a large number of committees, including eight terms as a Vice Chair as well as nine as a Chair.
IAR members attending the June Business Meetings in Springfield can get to the right places at the right times during the next few days by following the agenda below. Unless noted, most activities are at the Springfield Hilton.
Activities begin today with:
- REEF Board of Directors, 3 p.m., Plaza 3;
- RPAC Hall of Fame Reception (invite only), 5:30 p.m., at IAR Headquarters; and
- The YPN Networking Reception, 6:30 p.m., at Obed & Issac’s Microbrewery.
Tomorrow, attendees will have many choices:
- Board Leadership Forum, 8:30 a.m., Vistas 1-3;
- Professional Standards Committee, 10 a.m., Illinois Room;
- Commercial/Industrial/Investment Committee, 10 a.m. Rendezvous Room;
- Global Working Group, 1 p.m., Plaza 3;
- Professional Development MIG, 1 p.m., Rendezvous Room;
- Public Policy & Government Affairs MIG, 2 p.m., Illinois Room;
- RPAC Phone-a-thon, 4 p.m., Capitol Room;
- ROTY Pictures, 5 p.m., Rendezvous Room; and
- REALTOR® of the Year Banquet (ticketed event), 6:30 p.m., at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum.
On Wednesday, the Board of Directors’ meeting begins at 9 a.m. in the Illinois Room.